Monday, January 31, 2011

Takin' a bit of southern goodness home with me...

I LOVE Cracker Barrel restaurants! The problem is the "closest" one to me is in Boise, Idaho (which isn't at all close to where I live or travel to). Soooo, I decided to do a little digging and see if I could re-create some Cracker Barrel goodness after I return home from my southern vacation.

Jackpot! I found some copycat recipes at Recipe Lion!

While waiting in the gift store last weekend I spotted jars of their Fried Apples. They looked delish!!! I wanted to try them out at dessert time....but after eating dinner, I just didn't have room. I'm planning to indulge tomorrow night when I make my last (sniffle, sniffle) visit before heading back home.

They sell them online too, so if when I become addicted I can always have them delivered. Although shipping takes time...I may need to cook my own! If you want to start enjoying these asap as well, here is the copycat recipe compliments of Recipe Lion! Yea!

Cracker Barrel Old Country Store Fried Apples
Cooking Time: 20 min

Ingredients

6 large tart green Granny Smith apples
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/4 cup bacon drippings
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
dash of nutmeg

Instructions

1. In a large skillet, melt bacon drippings.
*Bacon drippings adds a crisp flavor to this copycat fried apple recipe.
2. Pour apples evenly into the skillet. Sprinkle with lemon juice, brown sugar and salt.
3. Cover and cook over low heat for 15 minutes, until apples are tender and juicy.
4. Sprinkle with cinnamon and nutmeg.

enjoy re-creating what you love in your own kitchen!
-dw.

No comments: